What happens when you put 55 kids together with 55 volunteers?
FUN, ENERGY, IDEAS, INSPIRATION, and most importantly, RELATIONSHIPS.
On January 25th, StreetLeaders and children from UPW’s five After-School Programs were paired with volunteers for SpeakUP Writing Night. The goal? Write a speech about an African-American or Latin-American historical figure to share with parents and judges at the UPW Speech Contest in March! Giving a speech is hard, but there is a reward! For children in the after-school program, a trip to Washington, DC over Spring Break! For StreetLeaders, a College Vision Trip and Civil Rights Tour through Georgia and Alabama!
Most importantly, children and teens get to share what matters to them. They know they have a voice in the community, and that is the MOST important reward of all!
“The snacks were good! The volunteer I worked with was funny and helpful. I’m excited for the speech contest because sometimes I stutter and I need to slow down, and I know I won’t get boo’d.
This is a loving community.”
-Kenton, 5th Grade, Camp Freedom & UrbanPromise Elementary School
Here’s How You Can Get Involved!
You, too, can encourage, mentor, tutor, and support a child or teen in an UrbanPromise Program:
- Check out Volunteer Opportunities
- Fill out a Volunteer Application
- Set up a one-time or monthly donation to support a StreetLeader or a child in the after-school program.
- Be on the lookout for more updates about the UPW Speech Contest and Spring Break Trips!
What Else is UPW?
Mark Your Calendars:
- UrbanPromise Silent Auction Event: Thursday, March 14, 2024
- The Annual Paddle for Promise: June 8, 2024
Calling Summer Interns!
- We are now accepting applications for the UrbanPromise Summer Internship, an eight-week, immersive ministry opportunity in which you will learn, grow, and experience the amazing children and teens of Wilmington.